What is gum disease?
Hear from our expert…
What is gum disease? VIDEO (59 seconds)
Hear from our expert…The different types of gum disease explained VIDEO (53 seconds)
Hear from our expert…The treatment of gum disease VIDEO (59 seconds)
Gum disease treatment costs:Clinical consultation Radiographs – 2D / 3D (if required) Treatment
£75 £10 – £200 From £360
Clinical consultation £75 Radiographs – 2D / 3D (if required) £10 – £200 Treatment From £360
Saving your natural teeth
Although we work exclusively in implant dentistry, saving natural teeth, wherever feasible, remains our priority. That is why, at Gallions Reach, we offer a high degree of expertise in periodontology which enables us to treat severe gum disease. However, if the condition is too advanced for us to save your teeth, we are ideally placed to assess your viability for implant replacements and offer immediate advice and options.
Our approach to treating and preventing gum disease
Assessing the status quo. We examine your teeth and gums in detail, identifying any areas of potential concern. We also discuss how diet and smoking can adversely affect your dental health
- Reviewing your dental hygiene routine. We discuss how you currently care for your oral health on a daily basis
- Teaching you how to keep on top of your gum disease. We both explain and demonstrate the best ways of maintaining and improving your oral health at home. This includes correct use of the right type of toothbrush, and how and when to use interdental brushes (e.g. TePe) and dental floss
- Deep cleaning. Where necessary, we will deep clean your teeth and gums, accessing the hard-to-reach pockets where bacteria can thrive
- Taking detailed measurements. By accurately noting things like plaque levels, pocket depths and gum recession at the beginning of your treatment, we can check your progress against them at any stage thereafter.
Frequently asked questions
Can we cure gum disease?
How do we treat gum disease?
- We clean bacteria away from both above and below the gum line to reduce the inflammation, and sometimes use antibiotics to reduce bacterial levels
- We teach you the best methods for effective daily home cleaning of teeth and gums to remove bacteria
- If you have severe gum disease you may require surgical treatment to access deep pockets, remove inflamed gum tissue and bacterial deposits or to help grow bone around teeth
- We check and monitor your response to treatment to guard against recurrence.